Monday, April 16, 2012

Fear and it's various faces

Of all the presentations, Sarah's (At least I think it that was her name. A whole semester and you hardly know a person's name.) was probably the most unsettling to me. Spontaneously waking up deaf, or loss of any other sense, rather than having an accident or some time-bomb of a genetic train wreck to set it off is a rather terrifying idea.

Much like pretty much everyone else, sight and sound at the very least I take for granted. I play video games, a lot, and audio is just as important as the video and having one of those halves just yanked away with little to no reasoning seems unfair and would most likely throw me into untold amounts of insanity and depression.

I chose a more tame fear, something I had control over rather than something like this for pretty much that reason. The inevitability of such a situation and that it can't change course once it's set fills me with a genuine lead-stomach dread. The same kind of dread that I'd have for wondering how my family will keep together after my mother's gone. I don't like to entertain the thoughts, even though I know it could happen as soon as anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment