Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Initial Hopes and Expectations

           Today (yesterday) we went over the syllabus for the class, pretty standard. What wasn’t standard was how informal and laid back the class was. I’ve had Beth for a class before, and despite her insisting it was strict it seemed very lenient and allowed for creativity, so I have high hopes for a more fun and enjoyable class in Seeing Sideways because of it’s sole purpose being dedicated to fostering that creativity.

            I’d found the drive to get in touch with my artistic side over the summer, found almost entirely in the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Laugh if you will, but given the fact that I had not wanted to pick up a pencil or pen for two years until then, I took the opportunity and ran with it. What kept me going up to this point was the community based around that show, getting praise and constructive criticism on your work, even anonymously, really helped me believe in my ability as an artist and has created a loop of wanting to give back to these people via art to keep me going for these past eight months.

            Even so, I’ve found myself either bogged down with too many ideas or burning myself out on a project I dumped 40 hours into. All the same, I also realize the pony kick will most likely die out, which would leave me dormant again unless I'm able to adapt to a wider variety of material to art. That being said, I'd like to develop my own style of doing things so my creativity can be self sustaining. I’d also like to learn how to manage that creative impulse and keep my work flowing in a more steady instead of having it come out in spurts, that’s my hopes of things to take away from this class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment